Sunday, April 15, 2007

What Should I Do With My Training?

People often ask me what they should do with their training, be it cardio or strength. I used to give them advice about what to do and why, but soon realized that they didn't understand or just didn't want to do what I said anyway. So now I answer the question with a question, "what do you like to do?". Then I say to use that and work at it, become better at what ever it is and they will see the results that they want. I've found that this works better for both parties and I will make a suggestion here and there if they are doing something which might be detrimental to them in the long run. The beautiful thing about exercise is there is no right or wrong. Any thing can be successful if done properly and safely. The worst thing to happen to the fitness industry is that it became an industry at all. Its all about what you like and feel good doing and anyone who says differently is just trying to sell you something - and usually for a ridiculous price. Stick to what you like, do it properly, safely and progress with it and you will be amazed at what can happen. - Tim Clifford, Personal Trainer